Simple Apple French Cake
The recipe is pretty easy to make and it is a delicious autumn treat.
- 7-8 inch round baking pan
- Mixing bowl
- Stand mixer
- Wooden mixing spoon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsps. good vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 apples peeled and chopped (I like Granny Smith or Gala)
- 1-2 tbsp. white sugar to sprinkle on top
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 7-8 inch cake pan by greasing and flouring the pan. I like to also place a parchment paper round on the bottom after greasing the pan. If you do this, please be sure to grease the top of paper before adding the cake batter to the pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl (dry ingredients). Let stand
- With an electric mixture, cream sugar and butter until a bit fluffy. About 2 minutes. Add eggs one by one. Beat in each egg for about 30 seconds until the sugar and butter with the eggs are creamy.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Do not over mix this prevents the binding of gluten. More gluten can reduce the cake’s tenderness.
- Fold in chopped apples with a spoon or spatula.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Since every oven is different, it wouldn’t hurt to do a toothpick test to make sure it has baked completely. When done the cake will be golden brown, and using a toothpick test, the toothpick will be clean.
- Let cool completely in baking pan.
- Remove from baking pan and enjoy.
I really enjoy this cake when I entertain for afternoon tea or at anytime of the day. About 250 calories per slice
Leave a Reply